Health Minister Veena George said in a statement that while it would have a mild impact on healthy people, it can have a severe impact on people with comorbidities, children and the elderly.
A day after norovirus cases were confirmed in Wayanad district, the Kerala government said on Friday, November 12, that people should be on the lookout for the highly contagious virus that causes vomiting and diarrhea. Two weeks ago the rare norovirus infection was reported in about 13 students at a veterinary college in Pookode, near Vythiri, in the Wayanad district.
The health authorities said that although things have been controlled and no further spread is reported, they are preparing a database of students from the faculty of veterinary sciences in addition to conducting an awareness class as part of preventive measures. Veterinary school officials said the infection was first found in students living in off-campus shelters. Health authorities rushed to collect samples and send them to the National Institute of Virology (NIV) in Alappuzha for analysis.
State Health Minister Veena George chaired a meeting of health officials in Thiruvananthapuram and assessed the situation in Wayanad. According to a statement from the health department, the minister ordered officials to intensify activities to prevent the spread of the virus.
There is currently no cause for concern, but everyone should be vigilant, he said. Officials said preventive activities are underway, including superchlorination of water sources.
Drinking water sources must be hygienic and, with proper prevention and treatment, the disease can be cured quickly. Everyone should know about the disease and its means of prevention, they said.
Nora viruses are a group of viruses that cause stomach-related ailments including severe vomiting, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, fever, body aches and headaches, according to Kerala Health Minister Veena George. In a statement, he said: “Although it would have a mild impact on healthy people, it can have a severe impact on those with comorbidities, children and the elderly.”
Norovirus is an animal-borne disease. It is transmitted through contaminated food and water and also through direct contact with patients.